Knowing what to do in a minor motorcycle accident is an essential responsibility for bike owners. At Perry Insurance Agency in Vernal, UT, we encourage bike owners to read up on the steps to take before an accident ever occurs. Hence, they feel prepared if they find themselves in this unfortunate situation. Here are the steps you should take should you ever be involved in a minor motorcycle accident:
- Move to a safe place immediately. If you are in the roadway, move away from oncoming traffic, leaving your bike exactly as it landed after the accident.
- Seek medical attention if you need it. Call 911 if you or somebody else is seriously injured. The safety of those involved should always come before exchanging information or reporting the accident.
- Report the accident to the police and answer all questions truthfully to aid in investigating the accident. Avoid admitting fault or offering additional details not solicited to limit your liability.
- To the extent possible, gather information at the scene. Ask the other driver involved, if applicable, for their first and last name, phone number, and insurance information. Take photos of the location of the accident, including your motorcycle and any other vehicles involved. Take pictures of any visible injuries not immediately tended to by emergency medical personnel.
- Call your insurance company to report the accident.
- If you believe you were the victim of an accident where another driver was at fault, consider hiring an attorney to ensure you’re protected moving forward. If you think you were at fault, your insurance company can assist you with next steps.
To learn more about motorcycle insurance, visit us at Perry Insurance Agency in Vernal, UT. We can help you choose the policy that offers the protection you need!